In 1982, the International Dance Committee of the UNESCO founded the International Dance Day to be celebrated every year on the 29th of April, thus underlying the importance of this form of artistic expression and the need for its recognition.
In 2011, it is the 29th consecutive year that this event is celebrated, with the organization of several events, in diverse forms, in different parts of the world. In this moment of arduous political context in Portugal and in the middle of a worldwide economic crisis, REDE, which is an association that congregates 26 organizations dedicated to the development of contemporary dance and its disciplinary‑crossing art, is, once again, drawing attention to the enormous amount of work yet to be done in Portugal. The objectives we are pursuing are the visibility and recognition of this form of art, the awareness of its specificity, of its plurality and the urgent need to determine a long-term action plan, in order to develop and implant dance into the social fabric of the country.
The only possible way to celebrate this event, given the circumstances, is to pursue a work of resistance, providing alternative solutions, and also to remember straightforwardly what we stand for:
– Dance should integrate the strategic and financial planning of any government, having in mind the specific aspects of its performance as a professional activity and its deployment in the country’s imaginary and social fabric;
– The activity in the field of dance, as in any other professional category, must have suitable regulation that ensures the promotion of respect and dignity for the professionals working in this area.
– Dance should be an indispensible part in children, young people and adult education, enhancing the development of a healthy relationship with the body and the establishment of interpersonal relationships;
– Dance should leave a memory to future generations, and its documentations and transmission is part of a common heritage that has to be preserved and valued;
– Dance should be accessible to all people and it deserves having a regular space for presenting, experimenting and disclosing both national and international programmes.
Rede is constituted by the following organizations:
A MENINA DOS MEUS OLHOS, ALKANTARA, BALLETEATRO, BOMBA SUICIDA, CASABRANCA, C.E.M, CIRCULAR, COMPANHIA CLARA ANDERMATT, COMPANHIA INSTÁVEL, DANÇANDO COM A DIFERENÇA, DEVIR/CAPA, DUPLA CENA, EIRA, FORUM-DANÇA, FÁBRICA DE MOVIMENTOS, JANGADA DE PEDRA, MÁQUINA AGRADÁVEL, MATERIAIS DIVERSOS, NÚCLEO DE EXPERIMENTAÇÃO COREOGRÁFICA, NINHO DE VÍBORAS, O RUMO DO FUMO, RE.AL, TEATRO DO BOLHÃO, VO’ARTE, ZDB, ZUT!